Sinclairs of Argyll

I am interested in the Sinclairs who lived in Argyll, Scotland.  I am
looking particularly at John Sinclair (s/o Archibald Sinclair), a mariner
out of Greenock, who married Ann/Agnes Mains (d/o Duncan Mains) of Row of
Ardintenny on 5 Feb 1778 in Dunoon & Kilmun parish.  Two sons were born to
this couple: (1) Archibald born 19 May 1780 in Ardintenny and (2) John born
26 Jan 1783 in Ardintenny.  Evidently Ann Mains Sinclair lived with her
father Duncan in the Row of Ardintenny.  Her father sponsored the children
for baptism.

Does anyone know more about this family or about the Sinclairs of Argyll in
general?  I am hoping to prove a connection to John Sinclair who emigrated
to North Carolina before 1790.

Thanks,
Karen Matheson