Re: Sinclair relationship

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul and Kaye Lister <plister@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: sinclair@zilker.net <sinclair@zilker.net>
Date: Saturday, May 23, 1998 2:51 PM
Subject: Sinclair relationship

>I have just subscribed to the Sinclair mailing list. My gt gt gt
>grandmother was Esther Sinclair, 1789-1829, the daughter of James of
>Mey, the 12th Earl of Caithness. They lived in the Castle of Mey, now
>the summer residence of Queen Mother Elizabeth. Esther eloped with
>one of her father's coachmen and they emigrated to Earltown,
>Colchester County, Nova Scotia, Canada in 1818. My ancestoral line
>traces back to George Sinclair, 1533-1582, the 4th Earl of Caithness.
>Kathleen (Kaye) Lister
>Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
>plister@nbnet.nb.ca

Hello, my name is Richard Ray Lower, call me Ray.  My mother was Thelma
Sinclair of Ruskin TN.  Her father was born in Nashville.  Her Grandfather
James Richard Monro Sinclair was born in Edinburgh.
His grandfather and all of his line before were born in Caithness, from an
early de Sancto Claro of the Rollo line who emigrated from France before the
days of his cousin, William the Conqueror.

As far as I have any record, my Sinclairs go back to the start of the
Scottish line of Sinclair Earls of Caithness,   David Sinclair of Dun was
the brother of George, 4th Earl - their father was John 3rd Earl.

As is the case with most of us seekers of ancestor information, my sources
are pretty sparse as far as dates, siblings and the like,  therefore I have
nothing on George except the names of (at least one)
sibling.  Anything you want to share on George, his family or his people
before him will be appreciated.  I have to do some work
before I can turn out a correct descendant chart, but I'll be glad to send
that to you if you would like.  The earliest name I have in the
Caithness line is William Sinclair, lived about 1401-1482 and was
married to Margaret Douglas, the first of several connections to that Clan.
If you have some before that, let me know.  I'm working on the theory than
there were scads of Sinclairs who descended from the family which came to
live on the Caithness coast near present-day
Dunbeath from Pont-le-eveque on the Norman Coast, but there seems to be no
record of them.  There's plenty of reason to suspect that there were
Sinclairs on Orkney and in the Shetlands also, all of
them related to subsequent Viking-style explorers from Scandinavia, Normandy
and Caithness.  The Sinclairs didn't let the sound of the sea get too far
from them.

Hope this is of some use to you, have fun!