RE: 600 th anniv. of Prince Henry's visit

on 28 May 98, sinclair@zilker.net wrote...

>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>
>At 10:31 AM 5/28/98 -0400, Darwin Ramsey-Styer wrote:
>
>>I think Pete Cummings has done an excellent job of getting people
>>together to discuss this issue of Prince Henry's Voyage.  However, I did
>>not have the funds to make a trip to Orkney for simple curiosity.
>>Therefore, I want copies of these papers which were presented.  The
>>synopses are good in giving me an overview of what was said.  However, I
>>want the references for their materials.  No one gives a paper without
>>references even though they don't  read the references during the paper.
>>They are there lurking in the back on the References Cited page and I
>>want those for my own satisfaction.  I think this is all probably true
>>but until I can look these sources up for myself, I will not believe it.
>>This problem could be solved by putting together a publication.  This
>
>>would be a good thing for those of us that couldn't make it as well as
>>the participants.
>
>Over the past six months I have had several exchanges of e-mail with Josh
>Gourlay regarding the publishing of the symposium papers.  He told me that
>they plan to publish them on the symposium web page, but that he was having
>trouble getting the papers from the authors and did not not want to "push"
>his volunteers "too hard" to get the two introductory papers he had
>received on the web.  In early April I offered to help convert the papers
>to a digital form, but Josh did not respond to my offer.
>
>Like Darwin, I would greatly appreciate and enjoy being able to read the
>complete papers.
>
>Richard Huseth
>Austin, Texas
>[
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For subscription, unusubscription, or other instructions, see
>[  http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>[ or send mail to majordomo@zilker.net with this single line in the body:
>[  info sinclair
>[
>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>[
>[           To: majordomo@zilker.net
>[
>[           unsubscribe sinclair
>[

Re this vist of Prince Henry. I have no knowlwdge of this voyage other than what
I have read over the years in books magazines and newspapers. My gut feeling is
that it happened. But I don't think it was such a big deal. I think others were
there before him. Principally the Norse or Vikings. If you are going to suspend
belief until someone comes up with a goatskin with the details written on and
notorised, I think you will wait a long time. I hope the Prince made the trip,
but we may never know. Enjoy the celebrations. If I can get the time and the
fare together and such events coincide I may get over the big pond and attend ....William.