Re: More on St. Clare and the Sinclair/St. Clair Namesake

on 08 Jun 98, sinclair@zilker.net wrote...

>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>
>On 06/05/98 09:10:17 you wrote:
>>
>>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>>-------
>>
>>I think she was a nun and began the "Poor Clares" (colloquial) that
>>followed St. Francis' example of poverty and servitude to others.
>>
>>I do know her following is strong and that you can get statues, etc.
>>commemorating her life and sainthood.  DTR

Catholic Online
>Saints website at http://www.catholic.org/saints/saints/clare.html.
>
>As to the Sinclair/St. Clair namesake, he was St. Clarus from Rochester,
England.  His refusal
>to give sexual favors to a noblewoman of Normandy was the occasion for his
murder and beheading.
>The site for St. Clarus is http://www.catholic.org/saints/saints/clarus2.html.
There is also
>another St. Clarus on this list, but he is of modern times.
>

>[
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For subscription, unusubscription, or other instructions, see
>[  http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>[ or send mail to majordomo@zilker.net with this single line in the body:
>[  info sinclair
>[
>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>[
>[           To: majordomo@zilker.net
>[
>[           unsubscribe sinclair
>[

Come on guys. St. Clare or Clarus have no connection at all to the Sinclair line
if for no other reason than they were supposed to be celibate (?)  The Sinclair
name source is well documented and a little research will soon put you on the
right track...   William.