Re: Leonard Morrisons Book

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary M.Sinclair <sinclair@gis.net>
To: sinclair@zilker.net <sinclair@zilker.net>
Date: Thursday, July 09, 1998 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: Leonard Morrisons Book

>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>
>Toni,
>If the material is part of the research and properly footnoted why should
>the material not be used. Morrison got it somewhere.  I have letters in
>which he corresponded with one of my ancestors seeking some of the
>information he published.
>Direct copies might be A problem though.  I know that my copy of the book
is
>so worn and the print so small it would not copy well or scan well.
>
>Is anyone aware of more recent Sinclair lineage books available either
>through one of the Clan Associations or elsewhere?
>
>Gary M. Sinclair  Harwich, Ma
>
>[
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For subscription, unusubscription, or other instructions, see
>[  http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>[ or send mail to majordomo@zilker.net with this single line in the body:
>[  info sinclair
>[
>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>[
>[           To: majordomo@zilker.net
>[
>[           unsubscribe sinclair
>[
>About Morrison's book, I first saw it in an original print at the Wick City
Library on Sinclair St (Court?) in 1984 while on our first trip to Scotland.
At that time I was a regular customer of the Unicorn Press (Unicorn Limited,
then a companion organization of the Scottish-American publication).  I
became an "Associate Member" of the Press and received lists of the
"Scotcopy" editions of a number of books.  These were zeroxed copies of
complete books, effectively bound with plastic covers and spines.  I bought
the Morrison book, the St Clairs of the Isles, by Roland St Clair,  a large
book called Sinclair Family History, which was a collection of writings from
various authors, either Sinclair or knowledgeable contemporary writers from
the period.  I found this to be a fascinating resource, though the material
was most useful only at the peerage or royal level of the St Clair/Sinclair
family.

I obtained information from Burke's Peerage, of course, which all told has
almost a book on the lives of the16-18th century earls, barons. "Master"s
and so on.  These required some work in several libraries, researching and
copying.  There are some fiction works employing Sinclair heroes which most
people seem familiar with; these, and the recent non-fiction works such as
Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln which touch on the
Sinclairs, Templars, Masonic Order and speculation about Roslyn Chapel, but
these books are all a little hard to come by in the U.S.  If anyone has done
research on this question of "Sinclair books", it would be great to have a
list and some idea of how to get them.  I was fortunate enough to be around
at the right place and time to get the ones I have, but I don't know where I
would go now.

Hope this is of some use to you all.  Aye, yours   Richard Ray Lower