Re: Shurery

-----Original Message-----
From: Antonia Sinclair <asflwr@cujo2.icom.ca>
To: sinclair@zilker.net <sinclair@zilker.net>
Date: Saturday, July 18, 1998 5:42 AM
Subject: Re: Shurery

>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>
>Hello Ray:
>
>I found Shurrery on my '96 AA Road Atlas.  Its approx. 8 miles southwest of
Thurso,  and 6 miles west of Halkirk.  If you still can't find it, it's
about
>1 mile north of Loch Shurrery (if that's on your map), or 2 west of Loch
Calder.

>The only mention of "Watten" in Rev. Maclean Sinclair's book is of a Colin,
son of William in Clarville.  he lived at Kirkton until 1807, afterwards at
Melvich for a number of years, but died at Dunn in the parish of Watten.
That was a time of a great number of evictions, and they shifted from place
to place a lot, before many of them left for the new world.
>***
> As a matter of fact, his grandson, Colin became a minister in Ripley,
Ontario, and 3 sons of Colin - James, Alexander and Peter emigrated to
AUSTRALIA.***

>DOES THIS HELP ANY OF YOU AUSSIES?
>

>By the way, this branch of the Sinclairs stem from John Sinclair in Golval,
according to the above author.

>Toni
>

>[
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For subscription, unusubscription, or other instructions, see
>[  http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>[ or send mail to majordomo@zilker.net with this single line in the body:
>[  info sinclair
>[
>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>[
>[           To: majordomo@zilker.net
>[
>[           unsubscribe sinclair
>[
>Thanks Toni, for your valuable help.  I have information on the SInclairs
of Brabsterdorran, Dun, Southdun, and Mey, some of whom were related to some
of the Earls of Caithness, but the nameplace Shurery never showed up on any
of my sources, including St Clair of the Isles.  The first-named four sites
are on both sides of Loch Watten, but the only "Watten" on my map is "Wester
Watten".  It is interesting that  Colin, son of William of Clarville, died
in Dunn, which was one of my ancestral stomping grounds.

On the subject of Dun (Dunn), Niven Sinclair came by an interesting story
which I would really like to affirm/forget some day.  It is that one of the
very early St Clair families living at Pont-le-veque in Normandy decided to
pull out and go to Caithness, all this some date in history before William
the
Conqueror, you understand, and not too many generations removed from Rollo,
of course. Niven says his sources indicate they landed on  the coast
and build a broch (dun?) near the present location of Dunbeath, and called
it "Dun"  This may or may not have influenced succeeding generations who
moved to more agriculture-friendly space inland, where we have a place
called "Dunn"  Certainly the Dunn name and family is very old in the parish.
as evidenced by the old cemetary which has been nearby, built up over the
centuries around the ruins of a genuine broch (in the form of a fortified
home/tower).  I spent an hour or more on my last visit peering at worn
inscriptions on the numerous stones, the few readable dates  from the turn
of this century indicating the presence of many Dunn's but no Sinclairs.

The story appeals to my sense of the dramatic and can be said to have
plausibility re: St Clairs/Sinclairs known history, and I believe the
William St Clair story which places him  at Rosslyn before the Norman
invasion, but as usual we lack evidence  If anyone has any, I would be most
pleased to hear it, even if it's only an old Norse axehead found in the
ruins of Dun Broch.

Never say die, SInclairs!      Love this website!

Ray Lower.