Re: Occupation

-----Original Message-----
From: Jenny-Louise Coster <jennycoster@hotmail.com>
To: sinclair@zilker.net <sinclair@zilker.net>
Date: Friday, September 25, 1998 5:11 AM
Subject: Occupation

>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
>[ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
>-------
>

>Hi there,
>
>I was wondering how many Sinclair ancestors were involved with boating
>and the sea. My line in New Zealand were very big boatsmen. Their
>occupations were Harbour master, ships captain, boat builder and
>carpenter.
>
>Jenny:)

>[  info sinclair
>[
>[ To unsubscribe, send a message like this:
>[
>[           To: majordomo@zilker.net
>[
>[           unsubscribe sinclair
>[
>Hi, Jenny:

This is Richard Lower, in Folsom, California.  In the reading I have done
about Prince Henry  and other lines of Sinclcairs, I have seen these:

   Henry, of course, was an accomplished sailor and used small ships which
he had built to put together several fleets for purposes of policing his
far-flung island fiefdom in the Orkneys, Shetlands and Faroes.  The North
Sea was the scene or starting point of a number of adventures, and the
monarchs in Scotland and Scandinavia acknowledged his importance in his
time.

   My Sinclair "cousin" in Fremantle, Australia showed me documents and
pictures which relate to a strong pattern of seafaring Sinclairs, mostly in
her immediate past family history, late 19th and early 20th centuries.  She
also has sea captains, harbour masters and customs inspectors in her
Sinclair
ancestors and close relatives.

   The Sinclairs of Caithness list a number of seagoing figures in the
family listings which are given in such sources as St Clairs of the Isles.
Several Sinclair British Navy Admirals are from the Wick or Thurso area.
Most people of old Caithness were either on boats or farming in the old
times.

  The Sinclair who arranged for the purchase of the Hawaian island of
Ni'ihau in the 1800's from King Kamehameha I was from a Roslyn (Midlothian)
family.  He took to the sea early in life and before he bought the island
was a ship builder-owner-captain of some renown in the Pacific.  He
had a contract with the London Missionary Society to take  ministers and
their families to posts in the Pacific.

I can give you reading references on all of these if needed.  Contact me
through this net and tell me what you are interested in.

Good luck with your ancestor research.

RRL