Re: Silly....was Catherine Sinclair and the Templar link

    Isn't it possible that both people are correct.  Just as our Prince
Henry's first marriage was arranged at a very early age, so could this have
been the case with Hugh to Catherine St. Clair.  There actually could have
been an early marriage (at 12-14 yrs of age) and she died but someone found
the marriage proof but the proof of her early death is controversial or not
found.  Thus 10 years, or whatever later as a twenty-some yr. old in the
Holy Land, he appeared to historians as celibate.
    When organizations begin, as in this case, everybody doesn't start out
with a nice clear list of rules.  These rules evolve, driven by necessity,
whim, and other unknown and outside forces.  So it is possible that in his
past Hugh was married but she died or abandoned her, and Hugh thought, (1)
"Well, it's just as well, this Templar business is here and she is there and
that would be no married life"  (2)  "Let's be more like monks and the Pope
this might help get him to back our organization"  (3)  I hated being
married and it would just be a distraction for future Knights so let's make
it a rule" or (3) "We are the poor Knights of the Temple and we really can't
afford a family", and (4) "We really want to be true to God and not be
distracted".

    I have from the Augustan Society MCMLVII "The Testament of a Knight"
Reprinted from CHIVALRY 7--pg. 20.
    Tells about the reason for bachelorhood.  His chivalry should be put
before all other loves but if he were married and had children, then they
would be his first loves.  In the case that his son should seek Knighthood
and really be unworthy, then the father would have a conflict of interest.
    But I think that I have read somewhere that in old age, these Knights
did settle down in marriage.  Perhaps someone has read about these different
stages of Knighthood.  I think I have loaned out that book.
Laurel