John, Joseph, Duncan E-mail List # 3

The dates of these e-mails from people looking for/or assisting searches
for various " John", "Joseph" and/or "Duncan" Sinclair date from October
9, 1998.  Interest has ebbed for the moment, so there are not as many
for this List # 3.

*********
     Date:
          Fri, 9 Oct 1998 10:58:10 -0600
     From:
          "Matheson" <zoo@uswest.net>

Here is more on Duncan Sinclair and Isobel McIntyre who sailed on the
"Ulysses" in August 1774 to Wilmington, NC.  They were married May 26th
[1774].  The marriage register for parish of Glenorchy and Inishail
reads,
"Duncan Sinclar, Shonmelochan [name of farm or clachlan], & Isabel
McIntyre
at the ferry were married."  The passenger list for the "Ulysses"
contains
numerous McIntyres but only the two Sinclairs--Duncan and John.

John Sinclair married Mary Sinclair on 13 Oct 1768 in Glenorchy and
Inishail
parish.  Their children may have been:
(1) Mary chr 29 Nov 1769 [father John Sinclair, mother Mary Sinclair]
(2) Donald chr 20 May 1770 [father John Sinclair, mother Sinclair]
(3) Peter chr 4 Sep 1772 [father John Sinclair, mother Mary]

Don't let the dates confuse you--these are christening dates, not birth
dates.  Mary may have been christened when she was older, Donald may
have
been christened the day he was born!

Duncan and Isobel (McIntyre) Sinclair may have settled in Cumberland
County,
NC.  I can't lay my hands on them right now, but there are some pre-1800

records that name Isobel Sinclair.

**********

     From:
          "laurel" <laurel@spiritone.com>

I have the Morrison book..pg 329 is all about Robert D. Sinkler, who
"was an early resident of Wells, Me.  The relationship which existed
between him and John Sinkler the first of Exeter, N.H., is not known.
It is
probable that he was a son of the aforesaid John of Exeter, although
there
has been found no evidence of this in any will or other record.  Many
wills
and deeds in former times were never recorded at the county offices, and

were ultimately lost.  It was not an uncommon thing for one to deed to
his
son in land what he considered would be that son's portion of his
estate,
and then make no mention of said son in his will.  This may have been
the
case with John Sinkler of Exeter, in relation to Robert Sinkler of
Wells,
Me.  The distance between the places was not great, many citizens of
Exeter
had settled in Wells, and the latter place was an outlet for the older
settlement, and furnished a home for its surplus inhabitants and sons of

its older residents.  There it was that Rev. John Wheelwright and his
colony
found a refuge when they fled from Exeter.  The communication between
the
citizens of one town to the citrizens of the other were continually
taking
place.  It is not unlikely, indeed it is extremely probable, that Robert

Sinkler of Wells had received land there as his part of his inheritance,

although such deed of conveyance may not be on recorcd  There are
several
evidences of close relationship between John Sinkler of Exeter and his
supposed son, Robert Sinkler of Wells.  The age of the latter was right
for
him to be a son of the former.  The same Christian names have for
generations been perpetuated in either branch; the habits, customs, and
occupations of persons of the two lines have been largely the same, and
at
this day there is a strong family resemblance between representatives of

the fiverged and diverging lines. {Do you suppose they had the SINKLER
NOSE?}
 From the earliest record John Sinkler of Exeter was a pioneer, and
struck out upon the frontier of civilization, and through all
generations
to the present, his descendants have been pioneers, and have loved
frontier
life.,  Many of them have been mechanics, the owners of sawmills, and
other
kinds of manufactories.  {that is certainly true of my (Laurel's)
ancestor
John Sinkler, Jr. s/o John of Exeter)  It seems as though one of the
race
could not be happy unless he was converting the vast trees of the forest

into manufactured lumber, thus making it serviceable to man.  All of
these
characteristics have been prominent in the descendants of Robert Sinkler
of
Wells.  They, too, have been frontiersmen, mechanics, owners and
operators
of mills  and manufactories.  Johnathan Sinkler, a grandson of John
Sinkler
of Exeter, and himself a native of that town, was an owner of land and a

resident of Wells, Me., in 1729.  Robert Sinkler, his supposed uncle,
was
there much earlier, although the records do not state the exact time.
He
was there ealy in its history, for that town in a public town meeting on

March 18 1712-14, votred him a grant of 100 acres, and 10 acres of
meadow.
The latter remained in the possession of his family until May 20 , 1734,

when it was sold by his son.  Whom he married is not known.  He died
previous to April 28, 1718, and on Dec. 10, 1734, his son in a deed
alludes
to him as "late of Wells, deceased."  His wife was Elizabeth......,  who
on
April 28, 1718 married 2nd Peter Rich of Wells, and several times in
deeds
she and her husband relinquised power of thirds and right of dower in
Robert Sinkler's land.
Child John Sinkler b. before 1713, as deed land May 20, 1724; m. Mary
Wakefield April 19, 1739
{So as with those families that used the Scottish naming system, this
Robert and Elizabeth ? Sinkler named their eldest son after the paternal

grandfather, which would have been John Sinkler of Exeter}
Then I have nearly a page of info on John Sinkler who m. Mary Wakefield
and
had 2 children Adoniram and Mary.  I would strongly suspect that there
was
a 1st son named John, who died or else he is lost to the records.   So
then
Adoniram named his eldest son John after the paternal grandfather, John
s/o
John of Wells.  Adoniram wisely discared this naming system for none of
them named any son Adoniram.
Laurel of Portland

***********

     Date:
          Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:50:52 -1000
     From:
          "kevin and rika" <kevrik@shaka.com>
 Here is some more info on the Johns in my Sinclair line.(p 118 in
Morrison)
John T. Sinclair b. April 24 , 1817 in Stratham, NH
   M. Dec. 1844 in Freewill Baptist Church , Roxbury , Mass.
 ( Date of record- Dec. 27 , 1844 )
Minerva Severy ( Savery on Marriage record) b. abt. 1825
Dixfield , Maine
John died May , 4, 1885 . Minerva died Jan. 5 , 1889 , both in Exeter

Thier son , John Albert , born July 29 , 1845 ( 7 months !) in Roxbury .

 Married Pamelia Princess Cualty Page , Born abt. 1845 of Exeter on Dec.
27
, 1869 in Portsmouth , NH
John Albert died Jan. 3 , 1915 in Exeter . Pamelia died Feb . 21 , 1928
in
Lawrence , Mass.
Their son Joseph and his wife Mary Winkler had a son , John  who just
recently passed away . He also had a son he named John , who is still
living.
Does any one have any info on either Minerva or Pamelia? I hope this
helps
out .                                                              Kevin

***********

    Date:
          Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:45:30 -1000
     From:
          "kevin and rika" <kevrik@shaka.com>
 Antonia; I don't see any mention of Islay , which seems odd if there
were
that many . Part of the problem may be I don't know where Islay is .
Perhaps a non-Sinclair name would let me check the index in the back of
the book.
  Let me add my thanks to all veterans past and present as others have
been
doing. Having just received  John Albert Sinclair's Civil War Pension
papers makes it a little more poignant.

Kevin

*********

     Date:
          Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:52:24 EST
     From:
          GDSinclair@aol.com
 There is a publication called "The Sinclair's of the Isles." I cannot
remember who published it or where you can get it. It is a quite
voluminous, so
could have information that you want. Hopefully this will trigger
something in someone elses mind and get more info for you.
Gary D. Sinclair

************

     Date:
          Wed, 11 Nov 1998 14:23:24 -0800
     From:
          "Richard Lower" <coqnord@goldstate.net>

Gary - the book you have in mind is probably the one entitled" St Clairs

of the Isles", by Roland W. St Clair, 1896.  This work was soon
out-of-print,
and my copy was made as a "Scotcopy" (named Sinclair Family History"
 by the Scotpress company in West Virginia.  I think they are out of
that
business now, but I'm not sure.

Enjoy your contributions to the site.      Ray

********

     Date:
          Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:21:58 -0600 (CST)
     From:
          lisa@telebyte.com (Lisa Miller)
 Laurel,

You mentioned it was impossible for me to connect to the Sinclair line
as I
had it listed. The Coleman line ends with John Coleman b: 1761. You are
correct!
(grandma) Della Joyce Coleman (recently diagnosed w/cancer)
John Westley Coleman b:1886
Della St. Clair b:1870
John Westley St. Clair b:1840 married to Mary Ann Judd daughter of Arza
Judd (III).
Joshua St. Clair b:1802
John Sinclair b:1763
Col. Richard Sinkler b:1731

Andy Horlackers address is    andy@utah_inter.net
What did you fix/change with the Judd line?
Sincerely,
Lisa Miller  Port Orchard, WA