Re: Outstanding Sinclairs

Cathy,
The medical profession has proven that laughter is vital to good health.
Your message gave me the best medicine I could have taken today.  I am still
chuckling!!  It reminds me of one of my grandfather's brothers that NO ONE
in the family would talk about.  (this was not on my Sinclair/St. Clair
line).  Like a dog with a bone, I just would not let it lie and finally when
every older member of the family was gathered together I bravely asked the
question again.  There was dead silence and finally one aunt said, "I just
wish you would leave well enough alone.  No one wants to talk about Uncle
_________."  Bill and I decided that he must have been a mass murderer at
the very least and so I did leave it alone for years.  After every member of
that generation but one was deceased, I received a long loving letter from
the only survining aunt and she stated, "When you dig in a garden you will
finally dig out every weed so I am going to save you a lot of trouble by
digging up that weed for you. "
Uncle __________ owned a bar in East Texas and  partook of his product until
he became an alcoholic.  He and his entire family left the church and during
those days he was considered a disgrace to the entire family." (this was in
the 1880s).  Bill and I still laugh about this as what was a scandal then
is, unfortunately, commonplace today.  So, enjoy your family stories and
preserve those stories we failed to tell our children when we were so busy
working our heads off.  We have lost so much by depriving our children and
grandchildren of the "old stories" that were told around the dinner table in
your own childhood.
Thanks!
Jean