Re: More corny comments

More observations

I meant forgot to tell his kids or grandkids, whoever, when he returned.
I'm sure he had more on his mind with the English roaming about.

  If there were no corn(maize) grown on NS then he wouldn't have seen the
full circle.  It is my understanding that the Norwegians had cut off their
westward trade at this time because of colder temperatures.  The results of
this were seen in Greenland as the natives there were driven towards the
coastal areas and thus overran the Norwegian settlements there as the snow
and ice advanced.  So that would maybe mean a more hostile climate in NS for
corn growing since they didn't have the fancy hybrid seeds of today some of
which are developed for colder regions.

This doesn't bother me as much as the aloe.  Seems like he would have had to
be really far south to see that.  It wouldn't have "kept" very well either
by the time he brought it back to Scotland, not like corn would.  Does it
really look like aloe?  Maybe a picture was drawn of the aloe (or whatever
plant it was) that William could look at for his design.  A poorly drawn
picture could look like anything to one who probably never saw the real one
or many years later was trying to remember what this decaying plant he saw
as a child might have looked like when it was fresh.  That last sentence
doesn't hold up.  William was born about 8 years after his grandpa, Prince
Henry, died.  Already an aloe would be long decomposed so there must have
been a drawing.  Or do you suppose they could preserve the aloe in
something.  No problem with the Indian corn.  It will hold forever.
Could there be some other plant that they could have preserved a long time.
One can press leaves and preserve them that way but aloe is so fleshy, that
I doubt that could be done with it.
Laurel
Portland, OR