Re: The intrepid Vikings

At 11:23 21/06/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hooray for Whoopi!!
>Sinead
>

>At 06:11 PM 20/06/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >Here is a message to me from my daughter, Andrea, a new clan member.
> >Laurel
> >========
> >
> >> Dear Mom,
> >>

> >> Just wanted to let you know that just two minutes ago on Hollywood Squares
> >> they asked the question about Leif Eriksen being the first to discover
> >North
> >> America...Whooppi Goldberg got it right but the contestant didn't believe
> >> her answer so he said she was bluffing...she was very upset with
> >him....Now,
> >> see, Americans do know about this correction to history...I know you worry
> >> about that but I think more and more people are learning the new
> >> information!
> >> love,
> >> Andrea

I have always found it difficult to understand how anyone can 'discover' a
country
or a Continent where people have been living for millennia.

Also, there were many 'visitors' to North America before the Vikings:
Celts, Phoenicians,
and Romans.  Nevertheless, the Vikings should be given the credit for
opening up
peaceful trading with the indigenous people.

The first "Sinclair" (i.e. someone of our bloodline) to be born in America
was Snorre, the
son of Thorfinn and Gudrid.  He was born near Buzzards Bay in 1019.  Like
the Sinclairs
he was a descendant of Rogenwald 'the Mighty', premier 'jarl' of
Norway.  He eventually
settled in Iceland.

Niven Sinclair