Re: demise of the Templars???

At 08:51 PM 20/02/02 -0600, John S. Quarterman wrote to Tim<snipped>:
(Tim:)
>>As to Robinson, except where mentioned in the text of his books, the most
>>infuriating aspect of them is that he refuses point blank to cite his
>>sources - so how can he be dragged into this?

>Actually, Tim, you dragged him into this.  As I have quoted twice in the
>last few days, your previous review of his book said:
> ``His 'Dungeon, Fire and Sword' is, quite frankly, superb.''
>
>What would you like the new wording of your review to be?
------------

Hmmm....  Tim also said in that same review: "...On the other hand, I
would certainly not describe John Robinson's 'Born in Blood' as the work of
a fantasist.  John Robinson's work in its entirety is well researched and
well written."...

with the above in mind,
>From Tim's book "The Templar Legacy & the Masonic Inheritance Within
Rosslyn Chapel",  Page 22, Chapter 4, paragraph 1:

"On this subject [the inexplicable disappearance of so many of the Knights
Templar], the English writer, John Robinson, gives a plausible explanation
for the secret rituals and greetings of the Freemasons and claims, credibly,
that Freemasonry was formed as an escape route for Templar Knights
fleeing from persecution."

he continues:

"This confirms many of the conclusions reached by Baigent and Leigh in
their book `The Temple and The Lodge' , which explores the links between
the Templar Order in Scotland and early Freemasonry.  This becomes a highly
plausible scenario when we consider that in Scotland the Order of the
Knights Templar was never supressed and, indeed, continued with active
encouragement of the King, Robert the Bruce, who was not only a Templar but
the Sovereign Grand Master of both the Military Order and the Masonic guilds.
His death mask is carved into the stonework of the Retro-choir at Rosslyn."

"Contrary to popular tradition, the Templars were in fact tried in
Scotland. The court hearing in 1308, was chaired by William de Lamberton,
Bishop of St.Andrews. He was an associate of Henry St.Clair who had
succeeded to the Barony of Rosslyn in 1297. Lamberton is believed to be the
leader of a shadowy group who were responsible for organising support for
Robert the Bruce in his struggle to gain the throne. At the trial, the
prosecution was mounted by the Papal legate in Scotland, John Solario. The
verdict, brought in under Lamberton's direction, was deliberately
inconclusive. It was the Scottish verdict of `Not Proven' which led, in
turn, to the semi-secret continuance of the Templar Order in Scotland. The
modern Templar archivist, Bob Brydon, claims, with considerable
justification, that Scottish Templar History, from that date, owes
everything to Lamberton."

Is that the same Bob Brydon that Tim mentioned in his statement of 17th
February,  viz;

"......the preservation of Templar tradition and its celebration in Rosslyn
Chapel cannot be claimed as a route of direct continuation of the original
order - despite the often vociferous claims made in that direction by Bob
Brydon and other members of the modern so-called 'Templar Orders' who
claim continuity with the original order."  ?

Come on Tim,  are you Arthur.... or are you Martha?

Signed
I.M.Confused
(a.k.a. Ian Newman)
Perth, Western Australia

[personally Tim, I don't care whether they survived or not, I just make the
above points to illustrate that many of your recent statements just do not
gel with what you have written previously - it leaves one wondering just
what "the Truth" is...]