Re: The Henry Voyage

Sinclair et al,

C14 dating is based on the decay rates of carbon isotopes in long-dead natural
plant material, and hence is un suitable for stony materials.  The Westford
Knight is a  carved (punched) chunk of what appears to be granite.

While there has been some research on dating obsidian tools, I am not aware of
anyone who has applied those techniques to carved granite materials.

Specifically, electron microscopy/ spectroscopy can be used to measure minute
chemical changes in the newly exposed (flaked) surface layers of obsidian
tools;  Apparently some reactions occur very slowly with time and so looking at
the differential changes with chemical composition versus depth (in carved
versus uncarved surfaces) can be used for dating when the obsidian edges were
originally flaked.   As I recall (somewhat vaguely), this technique was
developed originally to try and date neolithic North American "manufacturing
sites".  Might work on granite, but I just don't know.

Best regards,

Joe Erkes