Templar history

I'm on the daily digest, so I'm not sure if someone else has posted this
already. If so, I'm sorry for the duplication. I don't know if the
reputation of "The Times" is closer to our "New York Times" or the
"National Enquirer", so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this one.
Perhaps some of our UK members could comment on that? I put only three
paragraphs here, URL for the full article is here also.

Ken DeBusk, Michigan, USA
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-252124,00.html

March 30, 2002

Vatican file shows pope pardoned massacred Knights

>From Richard Owen in Rome

VATICAN documents have come to light showing that the wholesale massacre
of the Knights Templar in the Middle Ages for alleged "heresy, idolatry
and sexual perversion" ? an episode still shrouded in mystery ? took place
even though the Pope had exonerated them in a secret trial.

The revelation will put pressure on the present Pope, who has asked the
Muslim world for forgiveness for the Crusades, to apologise for the
persecution of one of the main Crusading orders as well. The Templars,
whose legendary power and wealth still exert a fascination, were disbanded
by Pope Clement V at the Council of Vienne in France in 1312.

L?Avvenire, the Catholic daily, said that the record of the Pope?s
investigation was thought to have been lost when Napoleon looted the
Vatican during his invasion of Italy in the 18th century, and that its
rediscovery was an exceptional event.