Cinekler name/my St. Clair info

Hi all:

I just received a new book "The New River Early Settlement" by Patricia
Givens Johnson.  In browsing through I noted the name CINEKLER (St. Clair).
I have never seen this spelling before.  I am aware of the SINKLER ->
SINCLAIR -> ST.CLAIR.

As the New River (Virginia - West Virginia - North Carolina) area is the
area in which my genealogical search leads me I found this very interesting.

Can any of you shed some light on this.

As well, I sent over some brief info on my family tree when I first joined,
but I am not sure it actually made it to the list.  I will list what brief
information that I have (as compared to what some of you have been able to
find) below  in the hopes that maybe someone can aid me in my 20 year search
for my mysterious ggreatgrandfather.

My ggreatgrandfather was William STCLAIR, born ABT 1833, m. Mary ?

    Their children were:

    Louisa b. ABT 1856
    Malinda, b. ABT 1858
    Wayman, b. ABT 1859
    Robert, b. 14 DEC 1864 or 1867 (lists both years on different documents,
i.e. marriage and death records.

This family is listed in the Monroe County VA Census of 1860.  Other than
what is listed below, as far as I've been able to find, they promptly
disappear and I have found no further evidence of William, Mary, Wayman,
Louisa or Malinda again.

William fought in the Civil War for the confederacy in the 30th Battalion
Virginia Sharpshooters, Vawter's Division.  He is listed in and out during
the course of the war, then listed "on Fed. list of Rebel deserters sent
north via New Creek on 10/13/64.  Alive in 1916".

In find the "alive in 1916" most perplexing as his son, my greatgrandfather
always told the story that he was orphaned and raised by another family.
Where in fact, William outlived his own son Robert.

As I have been searching this branch the longest, and it is dad's direct
line back, I would dearly love to solve this mystery.

I'd really appreciate any direction or help anyone can give me on this.

Thanks!
Amber Dalakas
am1@stratos.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/5612/genmain.html