Re: John, Joseph and Duncan

Jean: Gail, here.  Is it at all possible that the Joseph you mention is Joseph
Sinclair (1817-1878)  m. to Rebecca Bogardus Heermanse (1827-        ), and son
to John Sinclair m. to Elizabeth Williams?  They were located in New York,
approximately in the area of Kingston, NY  (Marbletown, Boiceville).  Many
branches of my early family roots  are in that area, coming from both France,
1660 or Holland 1664, and settling in Kingston (Esopus), NY.  My instincts say
that the Sinclairs were an early family in the area as well, perhaps in the
early 1700's, but I can't establish the connection.  In 1893, my
g-great-grandmother and her sister attended a clan meeting of the Sinclairs and
adopted the St. Clair spelling. You may recall that I wrote to you about your
marriage records soon to be published.  At that time, I didn't know who John
had married, but since have been able to establish his wife, Elizabeth.

 You had mentioned in an earlier email:

"I have traced this line back to their arrival.  However, I do not believe this
Duncan arrived in Charleston, SC.  My documentation shows he first came into a
northern state, married there, is on at least one census there prior to 1790
and then migrated to SC.  I have traced all of his children except John."

Is the 1790 Census you mention above in either Dutchess or Ulster County, NY?
I am unable to link the John of Albion, NY, or Long Island, NY with my John. I
am also unable to link with a family  in VT or NH.  Yet, the Seeleys are from
the Essex-Rutland-Brandon area.  Such mystery and such fun!

FYI: A Duncan and John I found in a Scotland website may be a connection
possibly to the line you are tracing?  I had hoped to connect them with my John
above, but have no way of doing so.

On the ship ULYSSES from Greenrock to Wilmington, NC, 1774:

Sinclair, John, 32 farmer and wife, Mary, 32, Glenurcha
Sinclair, Duncan, 24, farmer and wife, McIntyre, Isobel, 24

I wrote John Q. last night in relation to a prior email, where he stated:

"son of William Sinclair, b.1755, Scotland, d. after 1780, Scotland son of John
Sinclair, b.1728,
Gloval, Scotland son of Alexander Sinclair, b. c. 1700, Scotland.  Some of
their descendants are
known to have gone to New York, Michigan, and Australia."

I'm hoping he may have another NY source I can pursue.

In hopes you may be able to see an link or that something assists you...Gail