Re: John, Joseph and Duncan

Gail:
I have no idea who the Joseph is or who he was married to.  I found a
reference to an estate settlement in Mississippi that referred to him.  I
have written to the County Clerk and requested a photocopy of the entire
document.  I suspect that he came out of South Carolina or was even
possibly born in Mississippi.  I do not think he would in any way connect
with the Duncan line from South Carolina.  The line that I had traced
(Duncan & Mary) were on a state census in Maryland.  That is somewhere in
the pile of material that has been piled on my desk since April.  I will
try to find it but I don't think it will have a NY connection.
Sorry.
Jean

----------
> From: Gail and Lou <lfghm@ibm.net>
> To: sinclair@zilker.net
> Subject: Re: John, Joseph and Duncan
> Date: Thursday, October 15, 1998 4:47 PM
>
> [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
> [ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
> -------
>
> Jean: Gail, here.  Is it at all possible that the Joseph you mention is
Joseph
> Sinclair (1817-1878)  m. to Rebecca Bogardus Heermanse (1827-        ),
and son
> to John Sinclair m. to Elizabeth Williams?  They were located in New
York,
> approximately in the area of Kingston, NY  (Marbletown, Boiceville).
Many
> branches of my early family roots  are in that area, coming from both
France,
> 1660 or Holland 1664, and settling in Kingston (Esopus), NY.  My
instincts say
> that the Sinclairs were an early family in the area as well, perhaps in
the
> early 1700's, but I can't establish the connection.  In 1893, my
> g-great-grandmother and her sister attended a clan meeting of the
Sinclairs and
> adopted the St. Clair spelling. You may recall that I wrote to you about
your
> marriage records soon to be published.  At that time, I didn't know who
John
> had married, but since have been able to establish his wife, Elizabeth.
>
>  You had mentioned in an earlier email:
>
> "I have traced this line back to their arrival.  However, I do not
believe this
> Duncan arrived in Charleston, SC.  My documentation shows he first came
into a
> northern state, married there, is on at least one census there prior to
1790
> and then migrated to SC.  I have traced all of his children except John."
>
> Is the 1790 Census you mention above in either Dutchess or Ulster County,
NY?
> I am unable to link the John of Albion, NY, or Long Island, NY with my
John. I
> am also unable to link with a family  in VT or NH.  Yet, the Seeleys are
from
> the Essex-Rutland-Brandon area.  Such mystery and such fun!
>
> FYI: A Duncan and John I found in a Scotland website may be a connection
> possibly to the line you are tracing?  I had hoped to connect them with
my John
> above, but have no way of doing so.
>
> On the ship ULYSSES from Greenrock to Wilmington, NC, 1774:
>
> Sinclair, John, 32 farmer and wife, Mary, 32, Glenurcha
> Sinclair, Duncan, 24, farmer and wife, McIntyre, Isobel, 24
>

> I wrote John Q. last night in relation to a prior email, where he stated:
>
> "son of William Sinclair, b.1755, Scotland, d. after 1780, Scotland son
of John
> Sinclair, b.1728,
> Gloval, Scotland son of Alexander Sinclair, b. c. 1700, Scotland.  Some
of
> their descendants are
> known to have gone to New York, Michigan, and Australia."
>
> I'm hoping he may have another NY source I can pursue.
>
> In hopes you may be able to see an link or that something assists
you...Gail

> Jean Grigsby wrote:
>
> > [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
> > [ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
> > -------
> >
> > Who is the Joseph?  I ran into an estate settlement that mentioned a
Joseph